Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Out of the Box. Just like You.


My career decisions today come from the experience of creating change as a teammate. It hasn't always been easy, but I've learned a lot in the process. Many times, the process grew organically through excitement about new inexpensive technologies, or by working for supportive managers who wanted my help and saw that I had something to offer (or just didn't know how to get me to turn my ideas off!). In other words, I trained from the middle. I trained my boss, I trained other departments, and I trained the public. I didn't do it alone. If fact, if anything, I did it mostly with other people. Sometimes it came from just putting an idea out there, and letting others help to evolve it. People followed me, not because they had to, but because they realized what I was demonstrating was helpful, more efficient, and just plain made sense. I was able to implement change and new technologies as a team member—not for power or to look good, but because I saw that it could make our lives easier, more productive, and happier.




No comments:

Post a Comment